Financial Literacy Training in Adult Education FACILITATE
The FACILITATE consortium is strategically composed of various types of partners from different countries: Turkey, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and Czech Republic.
- KONYA IL MILLI EGITIM MUDURLUGU (Turkey)
- Hayat Boyu Gelisim Dernegi (Turkey)
- Euphoria Net Srl (Italy)
- Eurospeak Language Schools Ltd (United Kingdom)
- Masarykova univerzita (Czech Republic)
- Asociación Valencia Inno Hub (Spain)
The project idea grew up by combining two main considerations:
1) Several studies show that a person’s skills to understand and use basic financial and economic concepts plays an important role in achieving an appropriate level of economic wellbeing. Adequate skills enable citizens to take advantage from opportunities offered by financial systems and take into account also risks in a proper manner. The level of financial knowledge is not uniform throughout the countries of this partnership. Indeed, the overall level of financial literacy is quite low. Many adults struggle, in particular, with the knowledge of basic economic concepts and they are less likely to put good behaviour into practice, like for example, drawing up a family budget. Financial literacy is particularly low among the least educated people and those coming from disadvantaged background. Elder people and women seem to have also difficulties in deciding independently and/or consciously in financial matters or even in simple family, household issues.
2) Education is one of the most important factors in ensuring adequate levels of understanding financial concepts and financial literacy education is clearly a need for adult learners. Much research suggests a great need for it and studies have been conducted about various aspects of financial education for adults. Most often, however, these studies focus on those of richer population group rather than on low-income populations. Further, they tend to focus on what information is provided, with little or no attention to the teaching strategies and methodologies or the pedagogy used.
Teachers and educators in adult institutes, and more generally, general schools play a very important role in planning and implementing actions to foster, support the development and strengthening of key competences in Financial Literacy in a lifelong learning perspective. Regardless of how well financial education programmes are designed, success is largely dependent on the quality of instruction that the adult learners actually receive.
Unfortunately, teachers and educators in adult schools often feel unprepared to competently deliver financial literacy lessons and prepare materials, even though they also believe how important it is for their learners (and also for themselves). Many reported that they felt in some cases unprepared to teach some more technical topics, for example risk management or banking. In the partner countries, there are some guidelines for adult schools giving autonomy in implementing financial literacy with lesson plans and examples. However, the guidelines do not mention explicitly learning and training resources from which teachers can improve their skills both of the technical subjects or the teaching methodology.
Starting from this context, we would like to create the following results at disposal of citizens from all over Europe:
IO1 Financial Literacy Training, a specifically designed training path to be built up on the basis of the adult schools’ needs. The educational contents will be developed by the partners and it will provide essential information, knowledge and resources needed for adult learners and educational institution staff responsible for implementing Financial Literacy training.
IO2 Online Financial Literacy Training Platform: The Objective of this output is to host the Financial Literacy Training Model (O1) and set up the structure of the project platform.
IO3 Android Mobile App for Budget Management: money management Android mobile application that will guide the user for reasonable budget management.
As soon as the main website will be ready, we will update you on project’s developments.